3rd Place – 2020 home cooking comp – by Nathan Webb
Applewood Smoked Chicken with Agave Ginger Cider glaze. Spinach, Pistachio, Pecorino Salad & Sweet Potato Fries
4 litres water
200g sea salt
100g caster sugar
peel of 2 lemons
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
4 bay leaves
- Bring to boil and stir until salt/sugar has dissolved.
- Cool in fridge or with ice.
- Place chickens in brine and refrigerate for 24hrs.
- Remove from brine, pat dry. Heat charcoal BBQ to 150 degrees
- Smoke chickens for 2hrs with Applewood chunks until internal temp of 83 degrees.
- Baste with cider glaze during final 30mins of cooking.
- Bring to boil and reduce by half.
- Strain mixture, return to pot and gently simmer until thickened.
- Set aside.
Sweet potato fries
100g duck fat
- Preheat oven and tray to 220 degrees.
- Peel and cut sweet potatoes into roughly even chip wedges
- Mix in large bowl with duck fat, salt, pepper and pinch of chilli powder.
- Bake for 45-60min or until crispy turning every 30min
200g baby spinach chopped into ribbons
50g pistachio nuts chopped
50g pecorino cheese grated
60ml olive oil
30ml apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
salt & pepper to taste.
Combine in bowl just before serving. Serves 6.