By Cheryl Mishio 2021
DRY RUB MIXTURE
2tbsp smoked paprika
1tbsp dry mustard powder
1tsp dry garlic flakes
1tsp onion salt
1 TSP crushed peppercorn
1/2 dried chilli flakes
2tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp crushed coriander
2 1/2 kg Pork Shoulder (fat cap removed)
Rub this mixture all over pork, cover & set in refrigerator overnight.
1 can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup BBQ sauce
1/4 cup sweet chilli sauce
1 cup sliced onions
1 tsp crushed garlic
tsp fresh thyme
375ml can Sydney Brewery Dark Lager
Next day drizzle with olive oil & sear pork shoulder on all sides over hot grill – or BBQ.
- Place in slow cooker with 1 can crushed tomatoes, 1/2 cup BBQ sauce, 1/4 cup sweet chilli sauce.
- Sauté 1 cup sliced onions with 1 tsp crushed garlic & 2 tsp fresh thyme …deglaze pan with Sydney Brewery Dark Lager.
- Place onion mixture on top of pork in slow cooker & add remaining can of Dark Lager (375ml in total). Let cook in slow cooker med- high heat for 5-6 hrs until tender enough to shred easily.
PALE ALE ONION RINGS
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
Salt & pepper
1 cup Sydney Brewery Pale Ale (chilled)
1 large onion sliced into rings
Oil for frying
1. Mix dry ingredients & slowly whisk in Pale Ale until a smooth batter consistency.
2. Soak onion rings in milk for 1 hour (this takes some of the harsh onion flavour away & sweetens them slightly) …Pat dry
3. Dust onion rings with corn flour before dipping into Pale Ale Beer Batter – then place in hot oil (I’ve used vegetable oil over medium heat – test a small drop of beer batter if it starts to sizzle the oil is ready) to cook until crispy & golden.
Serve Dark Lager Infused Pulled Pork on brioche buns with coleslaw, pickles & Onion Rings and of course a Sydney Brewery Beer to wash it down!