Served with a Honey IPA Moscow Mule cocktail
By Sally Cinello 2021
2nd Place in the 2021 Sydney Brewery Cooking Competition
100ml Sydney Brewery Toucan Session IPA Beer
2 Tablespoons minced fresh ginger
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
4 garlic cloves, minced
570gm skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
Cooking oil of choice to coat baking tray with or alternatively silicone baking mat or greaseproof paper can be used
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons cornflour
2 teaspoons water
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
1 top (green section) of spring onion sliced in small circles
- Combine the first 9 ingredients in a container with a lid; stir it well & then add the chicken and stir again – making sure to coat the chicken well. Put the lid on the container & place in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours plus, the longer the better so ideally overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 220°c or 200°c fan forced
- Once marinated remove the chicken from the container, reserving the marinade. Place the chicken in a single layer on a baking tray either coated with cooking oil or with none stick alternative such as greaseproof paper.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring once.
- While the chicken is baking, strain the marinade through a sieve into a small saucepan; discard solids (ginger & garlic etc) bring this liquid to a boil & continue to boil for 3 minutes. Combine the cornflour and water in a small bowl then add this mixture slowly to the liquid in the saucepan, stirring as you do so & cook for a further 1 minute until the mixture has thickened into a smooth paste. Remove from the heat and add the baked chicken into the saucepan, mixing it well to ensure an even coat on the chicken.
- Turn the grill on to high. Spoon the chicken back onto the baking tray & place under the grill for about 5 minutes stirring a couple of times – aiming for a nice brown glazed look.
- Sprinkle the sliced spring onions & sesame seeds on top.
Honey IPA Moscow Mule
15ml Fresh lime juice
120ml Ginger Beer
Honey syrup made by mixing 1 teaspoon of honey with 2 teaspoons of warm water & allowing it to cool.
Can of Sydney Brewery Toucan Session IPA Beer
1 lime wedge for garnish
- Pour the vodka, lime juice & honey syrup into a cocktail shaker, add a good handful of ice & shake vigorously.
- Add a handful of ice to 2 Moscow Mule mugs & then strain the contents of the shaker between the 2 mugs.
- Add 60ml ginger beer to each mug.
- Top up each mug with Toucan IPA beer.