By Cheryl Mishio 2021
MAC ‘N’ CHEESE
6 cups cooked elbow macaroni pasta
150 ml thicken cream
150 ml milk
4 tbsp flour
1 brown onion finely diced
3 Cloves garlic crushed
1 cup grated sharp/vintage cheddar cheese
1/2 parmesan cheese
1/2 finely sliced spring onion
1 1/2 cups diced chorizo (approx. 2 whole chorizo sausage)
Salt, pepper, dried Italian herbs to taste
- In heavy bottomed pot add butter, garlic & onions – sauté until onions start to soften.
- Add flour & stir constantly for 4 minutes, slowly pour in IPA Beer whisking constantly for approx. 5 mins (mixture will be quite thick), slowly add cream & milk. Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes stirring constantly, careful not to burn on the bottom.
- Remove from heat then stir in cheddar, parmesan & spring onion – stir until combined.
- In separate pan – pan fry chorizo until browned & slightly crisp…drain off the excess fat then add 3/4 of the sauteed chorizo to beer cheese sauce …season to taste with salt, pepper & dried herbs.
- Add Macaroni to cheese sauce mixture & stir until combined.
- Pour Macaroni and Cheese into a casserole dish.
3/4 cup breadcrumbs
3 Tbsp melted butter
1 tbsp chilli flakes
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine breadcrumbs, butter, chilli flakes & parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle bread crumb topping over Macaroni …top with remaining sauteed chorizo.
- Bake at 150 for 30 minutes (until crumb topping is golden & crunchy)
Top with chopped parsley before serving.