By Cheryl Mishio 2021
1 whole boneless lamb shoulder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1tsp garlic powder
1 cup Puy Lentils
2 Tbsp Mint Harissa Paste (omit if cannot find)
2 cans diced tomatoes
½ cup beef stock
1 Large eggplant cut into 1/4” thick, long slices
1 Tsp crushed garlic
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Rub seasoning all over lamb shoulder before searing on high heat (or sear on the BBQ).
- Place seared lamb shoulder in slow cooker, add 1 cup Puy Lentils (French lentils), 1 can Sydney Brewery Lumberjack Rye IPA Beer, 2 Tbsp mint Harissa paste ( or if you cannot find mint Harissa omit) , 2 cans diced tomatoes , 1/2 cup beef stock .
- Let simmer in slow cooker approx. 5 hours until lamb easy pulls apart. Shred Braised lamb combining with cooking juices & lentils. Set aside.
- Drizzle eggplant slices with olive oil & toss with 1 tsp crushed garlic, salt & pepper.
- Char grill eggplant slices on the BBQ – both sides. Place a heaping spoonful of Braised Lamb Lentil mixture on eggplant then roll.
- Place stuffed eggplant rolls into a casserole dish, top with grated mozzarella cheese & bake in the oven for 25 mins at 160 degrees – until the cheese has browned.
- Top with chopped parsley before serving.
Use leftover lamb for Lumberjack Rye IPA Braised Lamb, Lentil & Halloumi Empanadas recipe here